Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Advent

December 6 — 1 John 4:7-21
While  dwelling  upon  God’s  great  love  for  you,  what
facets of the Gospel has He used to most ignite worship
in  your  heart?  Secondly,  how  are  you  reflecting  His
kind of sacrificial love at work, school, or in your home?

What first stood out to me in this passage was in verses 16-18: And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them. This is how love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgement: In this world we are like Jesus. There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment.

It is God's love his giving, sacrificial, atoning, preemptive love that gives us confidence on the day of judgement and leaves us with nothing to fear. It is the base that stabilizes our future.  We can act in confidence today because of our security in tomorrow.  In this world we are like Jesus. How exciting is that? This passage reminds me... it encourages boldness in me.  LOVE THOSE AROUND YOU. Actively. At work I believe that I often act out of the love God has supernaturally placed within me.  God gives me patience with all sorts of impossible people.  I can only give him credit.  However, I know that I should move beyond mere patience and kindness.  There are opportunities for greater love and I need to step into them boldly. 

Work, in the patient's room, is the easiest place to apply this.  Not only is it the easiest place to see the implications it's the easiest place to enact them.  But once I step out into the hall or back into my house the situation gets more tricky.  I feel like I have to focus more on the sacrificial and preemptive aspects of God's love outside the patient's room. And yet, in this world we are like Jesus. That still blows me away. God lives in us and his love is made complete in us. It seems to me I need to surrender to him and allow that work in my life when I slip back into "loving" within my own power.... which happens a whole lot in my day to day life... and not very successfully.

Praise God that he chose to love us first! That he created the basis for our security and boldness. That his love in us makes us like him in this world. That we are able to exhibit it even tho' in and of ourselves we're pretty rotten, selfish, and insecure. And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment