So here we go (in no particular order):
- At first you will feel super insecure about everything: drawing up liquid medicines, hanging and setting IVs, asking the patient if they use illegal drugs... This will pass. It will pass too quickly. You'll start to feel comfortable and make mistakes. Be slow and steady. The mistakes will cause you to be nervous again. The next time you grow comfortable, I think, it will actually be because you've got it down. Still be slow and steady. The first time you got comfortable you got sloppy this time you just feel at ease. I think I felt this at 5 months.
- Find an ally. You're new and need a friend who will answer your stupid questions without making you feel stupid. Also, ask your stupid questions. It's better to feel stupid than to write up an incident report. Then you'll really feel stupid.
- Ask for forgiveness when you make interpersonal mistakes. I haven't figured out how the whole co-worker situation works yet. It seems complicated and slightly petty. 6 months in and I still feel like I'm accidentally stepping on toes. Hopefully I'll be able to give better advice on this SOON.
- Take your breaks. Eat your food. Always be willing to help.
No comments:
Post a Comment